Winter in the garden is far from dull and gloomy when you consider the wide palette of plants available. Coloured stems and evergreens give colour whatever the weather, and it is always surprising when flowers appear, however sporadically.
Here are my top 5 ‘Easy to grow’ winter plants, suitable for almost any garden. They will give you structural interest, flowers, colour and even some scent.
- Pittosporum ‘Tom Thumb’ A dense slow growing shrub with deep purple leaves, which almost shimmer in sunlight. In spring it produces contrasting light young green growth.
- Cornus ‘Mid-Winter Fire’ A medium sized shrub which gives off a fiery, vibrant colour from its stems throughout winter. During summer it has dark green leaves and clusters of white flowers.
- Carex ‘Evergold’ A small evergreen, ornamental grass that forms low hummocks of striking green and yellow striped leaves.
- Hellebore A classic plant for winter interest, with elegant blooms in shades of green, pink, white, red. They are a must for any border.
- Osmanthus burkwoodii A rounded evergreen shrub with glossy green leaves and highly scented white jasmine like flowers in mid-winter.
The list of plants with winter interest is endless. If you need help brightening up your borders for January, or indeed are considering a new ‘Winter’ border. Please get in touch via email, mobile, or social media.