Watering and dead heading are the two main jobs that will keep the borders in colour for at least another month. Don't forget, you can dead head anything with a flower. Simply remove the dead flower head either at the head or cut back down to the leaf node to keep your flowers coming.
August is a good month to reflect on the garden and consider what plants worked best and complimented each other. As you sit and enjoy the view, think about your plans for next year's garden.
I have put together tried and tested planting combinations to help you.
My top 5 spring and summer planting combinations:
- Tulip Ballerina and Erysimum Bowles Mauve
- Geranium Rozanne and Rose Flower Carpet, pink
- Pervoskia Blue Spire and Geranium Anne Folkard
- Nerine Bowdenii and Hardy Fuchsias
- Achillea Fanal and Helenium Moerheim Beauty
As always, if you're struggling to find the right combination, please do contact me, I am happy to help with your plans, or simply to order next year's plants.